The research interests of Stella Ghervas are at the junction between three worlds : the West, Russia and the South-East of Europe as well as between two ways of approaching history: history of ideas and history of political experience (both national and international).
- History of European unification, from the Congress of Vienna to the Treaty of Lisbon
- Relations between Russia, South-Eastern Europe and Western Europe (XIXth-XXth centuries)
- Cultural developments and imperial policies and the margins of Europe (1800-1918)
- Expanded Europe: from the Holy Alliance to the Treaty of Lisbon (Institut d'Études Avancées - Paris)
- History of the Black Sea : from Euxeinos Pontos to present day.